It’s been a bit of a mixed bag over here, weather-wise. While it hasn’t been particularly rainy and wet, it has rained nearly every day. Often only a single sprinkle, sometimes a quick downpour. All-in-all, just enough to keep me from being able to do some additional painting on the boat that I’ve been hankering to get at. Having finished the deck non-slip which isn’t even visible, I wanted to get to the more obvious bits.
You (both of the regular readers) may remember that I repainted the roof just before installing the solar panels in 2019. I did what prep I thought necessary but some of the rust patches persisted and have begun to show through. For this reason, I have been grinding those spots down and applying a rust converter. This is a ‘paint’ that reacts with the iron oxide, turning into a more inert, hard, and paintable material. Then I could apply a couple of coats of the special non-slip roof paint. In order to keep it from looking patchy (the 2019 paint has faded somewhat) I had to paint the whole thing again!
I also had a serious need (and urge) to clean up the engine compartment. While the previous owner was living aboard, it seems that she didn’t move much, and had little interest in taking care of the outside or the engine. Here’s what I was dealing with:
First I scraped and wire brushed the surfaces, then applied the rust converter. It turns the surface blue and then black, relatively smooth, and quite hard:
Finally a couple of coats of bilge paint! I still have some spots to do but first have to do some degreasing. Under the engine and where I store my spare oil and fuel for instance. I’ve now got a huge jug of Gunk and I’ll be going at that shortly. Then I can get it finished, including some of the more difficult-to-reach nooks and crannies.
Someday I’ll have a go at the engine itself but that’s a whole other project! Sorry for the boring post, just wanted to get this into the ‘diary’. Not that I’ll forget, it has been a bit of a job…
Here’re some random pictures: