Much of this route was done in both directions, sometimes several times (Llangollen in particular!). Many of these canals are dead-ends, necessitating a return trip. I really don’t mind retracing my route as there are several advantages. First of all, it looks completely different. Also it often gives me the opportunity to moor at or visit places I might have missed due to timing or weather.
The total distance travelled is 1383 miles (2226 km), with 1005 locks. It turns out that I’ve travelled 632 ‘unique’ miles, and 574 ‘unique’ locks.
By year, here’s my totals:
- 2018: Total: 408 miles, 478 locks
- 2018: Total Unique: 233 miles, 257 locks
- 2019: Total: 552 miles, 339 locks
- 2019: Total Unique: 274 miles, 205 locks
- 2020: Total: 328 miles, 146 locks
- 2020: Total Unique: 125 miles, 112 locks
- 2021 Total: 95 miles, 42 locks
- 2021 Total Unique: 0 miles, 0 locks (!)
Interestingly, my 1000th lock was Lock 3 at Hurleston, heading toward Nantwich. I happen to have a picture from inside that lock (not taken at the time however).